I knew a boy, almost a man. He had red hair and a quiet kindness recognized by only a few. He was a gentle soul. He killed himself 1 week ago.
I knew a young man. His name was Matthew Gibson. He was a quiet and kind soul and a friend to my teenage son. He ended his own life on January 8, 2015. I suspect depression and/or maybe, just maybe feeling like he didn't quite fit in. He was smart, polite and thoughtful, with an incredibly bright future. A few days prior as I was wandering, I asked myself "what wisdom do I wish my boys to acquire from me before they leave home". I was thinking about this as I was trying to figure out the purpose of life, the purpose of my life. Matthew's demise inspired me to write LIFE'S RULES because I've had my own times of feeling like I didn't fit in, didn't know what I wanted to be "when I grow up", felt ugly, unkind, unworthy. Thanks to Matthew Gibson, I truly now understand what I consider to be the words of wisdom for myself, my sons and everyone on this beautiful planet.
1. HONOR WHO YOU ARE because you are a one-of-a-kind gift to this world no matter what ANYONE says…and that's the
2. BE YOUR OWN BEST FRIEND. IT'S YOUR BIRTHRIGHT!
3. EVERYONE IS BORN WITH NATURAL GIFTS. Explore and use your gifts to make your own special contribution to this
world. (psst…no gift is too big or too small)
4. ONLY YOU CAN BRING TRUE HAPPINESS TO YOUR HEART. You must "be happy with yourself first and then the other
wonderful things in life will be the icing on your cake. Naomi Barnett (my mom)
5. YOU ARE ENTITLED TO BE & DO YOUR BEST…knowing that sometimes you have to do things you don't feel like
6. THE CURVE BALLS WILL COME (if they haven't already)…They're called CHALLENGES. You were born with your own
inner strength to grow & learn from these tough times. Hey, no one said life was going to be easy.
7. EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES. Be forgiving of yourself and others when this happens.
8. DON'T BE AFRAID TO REACH OUT FOR HELP. We all need a little help sometimes.
9. A LITTLE KINDNESS GOES A LONG WAY. If you smile at someone who is quite different from you…You will brighten
10. EVERYONE IS TRYING TO GET BY…WE ARE ALL IN THIS LIFE TOGETHER.
L. Live & Learn
O. Own who you are
V. Veer toward your truth
Just be YOU
With all your human flaws
For your life here on earth
Comes not without cause
Honoring your soul
Comes not without care
For you must look in the mirror
Acknowledge your fear
That, which brings anger and strife
Keeping you and your body
From enjoying this life
My dear friend
So that you are whole
At your journey's end
Treasures of Wisdom from myself & from exploring other people's wisdom